Rising Sophomore Summer Reading 2019
Parents and Students, be sure to read the entirety of this page. Your student is required to read a book for both E.L.A. and Social Studies.
E.L.A. Department Summer 10th Grade Reading List
Bonner & Prendergast is committed to encouraging literacy among our students. Below is a list of books recommended by our ELA Department - books our teachers are sure you will enjoy. The choices allow you to find something that interests you, the students.
Incoming seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen should investigate their listed books and select at least one that attracts their interest. Taking time to investigate the titles will help you select one that you will enjoy. Keep good notes. ( Use the forms linked to this page as guides). Be prepared to discuss your book and complete a written assignment during English classes in September.
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
- Boys in the Boot by Daniel James Brown
Grade 10 & 11 - excludes AP American Gov’t students
AP U.S. History students MUST READ THE KILLER ANGELS
Social Studies Book Requirements: You must read ONE of the required books for your grade level for your Social Studies class next year. A book report is to be handed in to your Social Studies teacher on the first Friday of the week you return to school. The mark received on the book report will be included in your first quarter grade. Your book report should consist of the following format.
Historical Event Depicted:
Main Characters: (List all characters, describing each briefly)
Summary: (List all main events of the story)
In a separate paragraph, discuss your reaction or response to the novel.
- The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
- Shane by Jack Schaefer
- Eleanor Roosevelt: A Life of Discovery by Russell Freedman
- Hiroshima by John Hersey
- Farewell to Manzanar by Jenne Wakasuki Houston
- Franklin D. Roosevelt by Michael Schuman
- Pearl Harbor by Judy Hasday
- Warriors Don’t Cry by Melbe Beals
- Wilma Rudolph by Tom Biracee
- Wiseguy: Life in a Mafia Family by Nicholas Pileggi
- Forrest Gump by Winston Groom
- Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
- Killing Lincoln by Bill O’Reilly & Martin Dugard
- Killing Patton by Bill O’Reilly & Martin Dugard
- Killing Reagan by Bill O’Reilly & Martin Dugard
- Killing Kennedy by Bill O’Reilly & Martin Dugard
- Thirteen Days, A Memoir of the Cuban Missile Crisis by Robert F Kennedy