Rising Freshmen Summer Reading 2019
Parents and Students, be sure to read the entirety of this page. Your student is required to read a book for both E.L.A. and Social Studies.
E.L.A. Department Summer 9th Grade Reading List
Bonner & Prendergast is committed to encouraging literacy among our students. Below is a list of books recommended by our ELA Department - books our teachers are sure you will enjoy. The choices allow you to find something that interests you, the students.
Incoming seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen should investigate their listed books and select at least one that attracts their interest. Taking time to investigate the titles will help you select one that you will enjoy. Keep good notes. ( Use the forms linked to this page as guides). Be prepared to discuss your book and complete a written assignment during English classes in September.
- The Shack by William Young
- The Boy on the Wooden Box by Leon Leyson
- Refugee by Alan Gratz
- A Night Divided by Jennifer Nielsen
Social Studies Department 9th Grade Summer Reading List 2019-2020
Social Studies Book Requirements: You must read ONE of the required books for your grade level for your Social Studies class next year. A book report is to be handed in to your Social Studies teacher on the first Friday of the week you return to school. The mark received on the book report will be included in your first quarter grade. Your book report should consist of the following format.
Historical Event Depicted:
Main Characters: (List all characters, describing each briefly)
Summary: (List all main events of the story)
In a separate paragraph, discuss your reaction or response to the novel.
- The Adventures of Ulysses by Bernard Evslin
- The Midwife’s Apprentice by Karen Cushman
- A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
- Nobody’s Princess by Esther Friesner
- The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
- The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas
- The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss
- The Cage Ruth by Minsky Sender
- The Devil’s Arithmetic by Jane Yole
- The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien
- The Bridge on the River Kwai by Pierre Boulle
- The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
- Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens