At the heart of our mission at Bonner & Prendie is the idea of Service.
Monsignor Bonner and Archbishop Prendergast Catholic High School is a distinctive community of learners rooted in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We are committed to providing a comprehensive, quality education within an environment of acceptance, respect and love. We are committed to the development of the complete person in the serv ice of others. Challenged and guided by time honored traditions, we are committed to a future that enriches the lives of our students with the values and skills necessary to navigate the changing world of tomorrow.
Therefore, beginning in the 2016-2017 school year, we are bringing back our Christian service project as a way to live out our mission. St. Francis said, “Be the good news always and use words if necessary.” That is the primary objective of this project. We want our students to be intentional and reflective about the service that they do in our school community and the community beyond.
Christian Service Project Details
● All students are to perform a minimum of 10 hours of community service. The hours are to be divided in service performed on campus and service performed off campus. For the 10 total hours a minimum of 5 hours must be performed on campus and a minimum of 5 hours must be performed off of campus
● After the students have completed the service, they are to log their hours using our GOOGLE FORM. The students will record his or her hours and write a brief reflective statement about the activity performed. At the end of the 10 hours, students will reflect on the entire project and the impact of helping others.
On Campus Service
Any pre-planned event sponsored by Bonner & Prendie is worth at least 1 hour
Examples include: Ushering for the school show, being the manager for a sports team, being a leader in Speak Up!, being part of Mini-THON, and Community Service Corps on campus activity, volunteering for Open House, NHS Tutoring
- Students are encouraged to find areas of need on campus and present ideas to Mr. Barr or another coordinating teacher
- Students are encouraged to reach out to each Office or Department to find areas to help
Off Campus Service
- Students are highly encouraged to reach out to his or her Church or Elementary School to find areas to help
- Any pre-planned off campus Bonner & Prendie service activity such as CSC at Special Olympics counts for at least 1 hour
- Students are encouraged to “Expand their vision!”
- Senior Service Projects are to be completed by April 19, 2017
- Underclass Service Projects are to be completed by May 9, 2017
- The Service Project will be graded as Pass/Fail. Students who do not complete the Service hours will be required to attend Christian Service Summer School to complete the hours. Attendance will be required but unlike Academic summer school there is no cost. It is an opportunity to complete the hours.
Teacher Advisors by class
Teachers have volunteered to be liaisons for each class. The teachers will be there to assist students who may need help finding projects
- Seniors: Ms. Lodise and Mrs. Kane
- Juniors: Mr. Barr
- Sophomores: Mr. McShane and Mr. Luke
- Freshmen: Sr. Rose and Mrs. Toner
Students are encouraged to reach out to faculty, staff, administration, coaches, Pastors and others to find out ways to help. Students are to ask themselves, “Is what I am doing helping someone else?” If they can answer Yes, then count it towards his or her Service Project.We want our students to be intentional and reflective in their service of others. If you have questions about the project or would like to suggest ideas for service, please reach out to Mr. Dave Barr, our school minister or myself. Thank you for your support in our development of our students.